Little migraine helpers
Bah i’d planned on getting some fresh noodles to write about but I didn’t make it to the store. I guess it’s fate, maybe there’s bugs in it. Two days ago I had a nice big migraine, and then today Hippo and I needed to go back to the hospital for his teeth, which created a bit of a bloody mess. (yeah, both literaly and figuratively)
However instead of that I figured I might post some of my favorite non-medicine remedies for when i’m chained to bed and don’t have pills at my disposal!
Disclaimer though: what works for you is totally personal, migraines are still a very messy subject, there’s no one main cause that’s been found up till now. However these are the general things i’ve tried that work for me as well as some things i’m interested in, they might be worth trying!
I determine where it comes from first, there are two types of migraines for me:
1) with aura
I was told this is neurological, when this happens it boils down to a pill or just laying on my bed and sitting it out.
2) without aura
That’s the good kind! When this happens I try the following:
- When I feel pressure on my neck or belly I put a cherry stone pillow on there, this has actually helped me A LOT!
Often migraines are comparable to a balloon-effect, when there’s an obstruction/inflammation somewhere in the body the veins in the head get more blood, expand, and freak out because of that. So relieving the swelling in my belly then for example will lower the pressure in my head.
This expanding is why I also often get migraines because of alcohol, it immediately widens the veins! That brings me to the second idea:
- Drink coffee.. yea it’s double. For some it causes headaches for some it relieves them. Don’t drink too much or you can get rebound headaches, but a little cafeïne can make the difference for some people because it actually restricts your veins.
- Eat an egg, calcium can help
- Eat a banana, the potassium in this can relieve migraines
- Close your eyes, focus on the point where it hurts and convince yourself the migraine is gone, this helps me fall asleep to sleep it off!
- Drink coconut juice, electrolytes to hydrate the body at lightning speed!
- Put something cold on your brain stem, which is at the base of your skull, it relieves the pain for me
- Take/eat something laxating, obstruction in your tummy can cause serious pressure on veins
- 5 HTP supplement: I haven’t tried this yet, but it’s supposed to be a natural substitute for triptans
- Weed, not saying you should become a stoner but there are a lot of people out there that benefit from a tiny bit of weed
- Apple cider with honey
- Accupuncture, often migraines come from stress, or muscles tightening up as well, you can try to “reset” the energy flow in your body with accupuncture, so many people that swear by this!
- Chiropractor, they can locate a blockage anywhere, not just muscles and bones!
- Feverfew, I have Lindsay to thank for this one! Haven’t tried it yet but looked it up, and it seems to help a ton of people
I’ve heard of friends getting rid of their migraines in several ways, however the official idea is still that they can’t be cured. You can figure out your triggers and pay attention to them though!
Keeping a little food-journal for 2 weeks helped me out a lot.
I’m not be able to ever drink myself into oblivion without a GIANT hangover for example, but meh, I don’t mind! ^_^ and at least I know the consequences when I do LOL!
I hope this helps someone!
Hey if you’re interested, tell me your triggers? I’d love to hear.
As always, don’t forget to enter my giveaway haha! Maybe winning free items relieves some stress?! :)
Posted on September 7, 2012, in Box o' thought, Random twirlings and tagged accupuncture, alcohol, alternative, animal testing, banana, belly, bowel, cafeïne, chiropractor, coconut, coffee, cold, cruelty free, cure, dehydration, egg, expanding, giveaway, heat, help, hormones, inflammation, laxate, laxating, migraine, natural, potassium, relief, relieve, remedy, stress, warmth, weed. Bookmark the permalink. 12 Comments.